Find Your Next Adventure
If the roar of an OHV engine is music to your ears, then you need to set out on the many trails from TURKEY FLAT Campground, it’s a CAMPGROUND, OHV TRAILHEAD and DAY USE AREA offering an extensive multi-use trail system. This system includes routes designated for motorcycles and All Terrain Vehicles (ATVs). Find a campsite where your rig can fit comfortably and do your best to leave everything just as you found it, in its natural state. The campsites have no barriers or boulders, so all sizes of toy haulers, trailers, and campers do
Turkey Flat Staging Area is located in San Luis Obispo County, off of US Highway 58 on Pozo Road. It is one mile from the Pozo Fire Station and is accessed via paved roads. The staging area sits at approximately 1,985 feet in an open area surrounded by oak trees and private property. Most visitor use occurs in the spring, fall or winter when temperatures are mild. This area is well known for its difficult OHV trails which accommodate motorcycles, ATVs, and 4x4s. Powerline 4x4 trail is located adjacent to the staging area and connects to the rest of the OHV trail system.
The staging area has two day use sites with picnic tables. This site is also used for dispersed camping. Although there are no designated camp sites at Turkey Flat Staging Area, trailers and 5th wheels are used by recreationists to camp and stage their OHVs.
There is one, double-seat vault toilet building and one small trash can. Drinking water is not available. Campfires are not allowed at the staging area.
This site is used for annual motorcycle events during the year. Hundreds of people park and stage their vehicles to use the OHV trail system during these events. A small fenced off riding area is north of the staging area to allow for beginner riders and children to practice away from the rest of the traffic in the area.
First come, first served.
- $20.00 per night per single family site for up to 6 people and 1 vehicle
- $10.00 extra person (up to 8) per night and $10.00 extra vehicle charge (up to 2) per night
- $10.00 day use fee per vehicle
- Golden Age/Golden Access Pass for single family campsites only
Open daily, Year-round. Turkey Flat Campground has open area campsites that include picnic tables and two vault toilets. Pets are allowed. You should plan to be completely self-sustainable for the duration of your trip. There is no potable water onsite. There is no dump station. Near the fee/information boards is a "staging area" to offload gear.
- Campfire Rings
- Day Use Area
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Mountain Biking
- Off-Road Vehicle Trails
- Parking Area
- Picnic Area
- Self Pay Station
- Vault Toilets
TURKEY FLAT Campground, OHV TRAILHEAD and DAY USE AREA is an uncultivated camping experience best appreciated by true OHV enthusiasts. ATV's/Quad Runners/Dual Sports/Single track, will all find access to 45 miles of marked and rated trails geared toward the beginner to experienced rider, and all accessible from your camping spot or Day Use staging area. It’s all Ride-In, Ride-Out! The facility even has a kids track for those beginner riders.
- Camping fee includes 1 vehicle and 1 tent, trailer or RV
- $10 fee for each extra vehicle
- No drinking water is available
- No public showers in the region
- Please bring garbage bags. This facility is “Pack it in. Pack it out.”
- Quiet hours are 10pm-8am
- Fireworks are prohibited at all times
- The nearest stores and gas are 20 miles away in Santa Margarita
- Sporadic cell service can be found nearby
- The trailhead and day use area is open all year. However, area could be closed at times during rainy season to protect roads and trails
- Don’t ride alone. Tell someone where you plan to go and then stick to your plans.
- Make sure you have a first aid kit and other safety gear with you when riding
- Bring your gnat/mosquito repellent in Spring/Summer/Fall
- Spark arrestors and Off-highway vehicle registration required (red sticker required)
- Noise limit 96 db
- 2 night minimum stay on weekends
- 3 night minimum stay on holidays
- Click here for more information on Los Padres National Forest
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov
Hiking Trails, Biking, Fishing, shopping within 29 miles.