Find Your Next Adventure
Kirk Creek Campground is an oceanside paradise located in Big Sur, CA.
Each site overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It offers a variety of opportunities for relaxation and recreation. Kirk Creek is close to a variety of scenic trails that lead visitors into the Los Padres National Forest.
- $10.00 extra person (up to 8) per night and $10.00 extra vehicle charge (up to 2) per night
- Hiker Biker sites available for $5.00 per person. You will share site, and must arrive on foot or non motorized vehicle
- Golden Age/Golden Access Pass for single family campsites only
The campground offers single-family sites for tent or RV camping. Each site is equipped with a table and campfire ring and grill. Accessible vault toilets are provided, but no hookups are available. Trash collection bins are scattered throughout the campground.
- Accessible Vault Toilets
- Beach Access
- Bird Watching
- Campfire Rings
- Creek Access
- Firewood Vendor
- Horseback Riding Trails
- Paved Roads
- Self Pay Station
- Trash Collection
- Vault Toilets
- Waterfront Sites
- Wildlife Viewing
There is short walk to a rocky beach from the campground. A five mile ride will take you to Sand Dollar Beach, the largest sandy beach in Big Sur. It's a very popular spot for surfing, fishing, swimming, exploring, sunbathing and more. Fishing permits are required for anyone over age 16. Anglers can expect a catch of yellow perch and other coastal surf fish. The beach is dog-friendly, as long as dogs are leashed and waste is picked up.
A variety of trails exist along the beach, which lead to the bluffs that overlook the beach and coves in the area. Additional hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding trails can be accessed within a short drive of the campground, and offer scenic views of waterfalls, redwood groves and mountain meadows and streams. Directly across the highway from the campground is the Vicente Flats Trailhead, which leads into the Ventana Wilderness.
- Poison oak is abundant in the area.
- No water is available at the campground.
- Limit of 2 vehicles per site; additional vehicles are not permitted.
- Reservations can be made three days in advance. All single campsite reservations are good for 6 people and 1 vehicle.
- Maximum number of people per single site is 8 ($10.00 additional charge per person per night after 6 people). Maximum number of vehicles per single site is 2 ($10.00 additional charge for 2nd vehicle per night). Extra vehicle and person fees will be charged at the facility.
- Click here for more information on the Los Padres National Forest.
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov.
Nearby Natural Features
The campground is located on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, at an elevation of about 100 feet. It offers fantastic views of the Big Sur coastline. Campsites are spacious, open and grassy. Each site has a view of the ocean, where sunrises and sunsets are outstanding.
From November to February each year, whales migrate along the coast and can frequently be viewed from the campground. Sand Dollar Beach Day Use Area, Mill Creek Day Use Area, Willow Creek Day Use Area, Limekiln State Park Day Use Area. The town of Big Sur is located about 40 minutes North where you will find Pfeiffer Beach Day Use Area.
Q: How do I book a site?
A: Each morning at 7AM we release reservations for six months out. We book via Recreation.Gov Logging on at 7AM and booking 6 months out is your best bet for securing a site.
Q: How do I get a "FF" First Come, First serve spot?
A: We recommend getting there (in person) at 2 PM. Please keep in mind these sites fill up very quickly during weekends and our busy season. You do not need your entire group present at check-in for FF sites. If available, you can pick your site, and will have priority to pay day-by-day for the rest of the weekend. There are only *TWO* First Come, First Serve sites at Kirk Creek.
Q: If I park on the road, why do I have to pay full price for a H/B site?
A: Hiker/Biker area are strictly set aside for those who do not have a motorized vehicle
Q: Do you have area trail maps?
A: Area maps can be purchased at the local convenience store in Lucia or Gorda
Q: Can I get to the beach from Kirk Creek?
A: Kirk Creek has a trail beside site 11 to take you down to the ocean
Q: What type of wild animals do I need to look out for?
Q: If it’s 8am why can’t I check in early?
A: To allow current guests ample time and space to check-out, and to give the Host time to clean the campground for new arrivals.
Q: Where is the nearest gas station/store?
A: There is a convenience store in Lucia about 3 ½ miles north to Lucia and about 9 miles south to Gorda
Q: Why can I not use my camping tag from here at the day use areas?
A: Currently, PMC offers an “Annual Pass” for Day Use facilities for $50.00 which will get you into Sand Dollar, Willow Creek, Mills Creek and Pfeiffer Beach