Upper Oso Campground provides ample opportunity for exploration of California’s coastal mountains. It is a family-friendly campground, equipped with equestrian sites, and is close to a variety of trails and several mountain streams.
The campground is located in the lower Santa Ynez Recreation Area, not far from Santa Barbara. The campground has large sites scattered among plentiful oak trees that provide pleasant shade. It is situated alongside a seasonal creek, at an elevation of 1,040 feet.
A variety of hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding trails begin in and around the campground, including the Santa Cruz Trail, which traverses 18 miles north to the San Rafael Wilderness. The 2.5-mile Aliso National Recreation Trail leads through scenic areas to a group campsite.
Off-road vehicle enthusiasts enjoy the Camuesa OHV Route, which loops about 10 miles through the surrounding forest.
Fishing and swimming are available at nearby White Rock Day-Use Area, less than two miles from the campground. The Santa Ynez River is stocked with trout in the springtime.
Cachuma Lake Recreation Area, a no-body-contact reservoir, is about 10 miles northwest of the campground. It offers boating, fishing and kayaking. Anglers will find an abundance of annually stocked trout. Carp and bass are also common catches there.
The campground is open year-round and offers around two dozen sites tent or RV camping. About 10 sites are outfitted with horse corrals and extra long, paved parking spurs. Some additional sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Each site is equipped with a table, campfire ring with grill and a pedestal grill. Accessible flush toilets and drinking water are provided throughout the campground. Firewood is available for purchase from the on-site campground host.
The campground is located about 25 miles north of the city of Santa Barbara.
Activities and Amenities
|Within 10 Miles|
- Fire restrictions (on all campfires and charcoal fires) may be imposed at any time, due to hot, dry weather conditions; for current fire conditions or weather closures, contact the campground manager by calling (805) 967-8766
- Poison oak may be present in the area
- Additional fees of $10/night per extra vehicle will be collected at the campground
- Changing river levels can prompt campground closures during the winter
- Click here for more information on the Los Padres National Forest
Fire restrictions may be imposed at any time due to hot, dry weather conditions, at which time campfires and charcoal fires may not be allowed. For current fire conditions or weather closures, contact the forest supervisor’s office at (805) 968-6640.
- Don’t Move Firewood: Protect California’s forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov.
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
From Santa Barbara, travel north on Highway 101. Exit onto Highway 154 and continue northwest for about 10 miles. Turn east onto Paradise Road and travel about 6 miles. Turn north onto Forest Route 5N15 and continue less than two miles to the campground.
Upper Oso Campground (Click for Google Maps Directions)
10-14 Paradise Rd, Santa Barbara, CA93105