Escape from the city to the rustic and beautiful McGill Campground. The campground, bursting with views of mountains and valleys, is an ideal base for several biking and hiking trails.
A dense stand of Jeffrey pine and ponderosa shade the campground and each site is nicely spaced. A perk of camping at McGill is the chance to see hummingbirds. They happen to love the area.
McGill Campground sits in a mixed conifer forest in the Pinos Mountains, at an altitude of 7,500 feet. Campground temperatures are typically 15 to 20 degrees cooler than the Los Angeles Basin, just over an hour’s drive from the campground.
The area is in the northeastern part of Los Padres National Forest, which boasts 1,257 miles of maintained trails. Much of the forest is primitive and has 10 congressionally designated wilderness areas.
Check out the accessible Exploration Trail, Mount Pinos Trail and McGill Campground Trail. McGill is for hiking and biking and meanders along 3.7 miles of scenery.
No drinking water or electric hookups are available.
Campsites have picnic tables and grills, and vault toilets are onsite.
All group sites at McGill Campground can accommodate 10 cars.
More than 70 single-family sites are available so the campground can easily accommodate big weekend crowds.
Head out on the Jacinto Reyes National Scenic Byway, which travels past breathtaking cliffs, rock formations, and lush riparian areas.
Activities and Amenities
- No drinking water is available; please bring an ample amount
- Be bear aware; keep all food out of sight in approved containers or locked inside your vehicle and remove all food from area after eating
- Be cautious of snakes in the area
- Click here for more information on Los Padres National Forest
- Don’t Move Firewood: Protect California’s forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov.
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
Take I-5 North to Frazier Mountain Park Road exit. Go west on Frazier Mountain Park Road for 7 miles to Cuddy Valley Road. Bear right at Cuddy Valley Road. Continue 5 miles to the Y in the road and veer left for 5 more miles to McGill Campground entrance on the right side of the road.