UPDATE 2/5/17: The road to the beach is temporarily CLOSED due to hazardous road conditions brought on by the last couple of storms in the area. Please do not turn onto Sycamore Canyon Road to access the beach, no beach access at this time. Check back for updates.
Northern Mileage Mark
Carmel River Bridge (at Rio Road)
From north: 26 miles
|Southern Mileage Mark
Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument
From south:64 miles
Pfeiffer Beach is located in the heart of Big Sur
1/4 mile south of the Big Sur Ranger Station.
Turn west on Sycamore Canyon Road.
Sycamore Canyon Road:
- Access to Pfeiffer Beach Day Use Area may be closed at any given time when the limited parking area is full. We apologize for this inconvenience. Please keep this in mind on your next visit to Big Sur.
- Watch for and please obey ALL traffic signs.
- Be careful of other traffic, including pedestrian traffic.
- The road is very narrow, one lane at time, so please drive slowly
- Watch for adults and children as you travel the 2 miles from Highway 1 to the beach.
- If the signs say closed, yes the parking lot is closed. Please do not turn onto Sycamore Canyon.
Pfeiffer Beach is a Day Use Area, no overnight camping.
- Hours: 9:00 a.m – 8:00 p.m
- 7 days a week
- Parking Fee $10.00, not valid for re-entry
- Shuttle Buses/Large Vans $30.00